How to? (external input as light switch)

The previous Daslight version

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

SFX Group
Operating System: Windows

How to? (external input as light switch)

Post by SFX Group »

Hi

I am looking at DasLight 4, planning to use this with dpad gold, i know this hardware has external contacts. If i have momentary switch on one of the ports, how would i write a "light switch".

Press / release = DMX channel sends "100% light on"
Press / release (same switch) = DMX channel sends "0% light on"

Somewhere something has to "toggle" to "know the current light setting then do the opposite", would this be script driving and if so how would i do this?

I am looking at this software and the Philips Pharos / iPlayer 3 system.

Many Thanks
Ashley
Many Thanks
Ashley

© Copyright 2016 - http://www.ashleygriffin.ca
Jp

Re: How to? (external input as light switch)

Post by Jp »

Hi

You can use a scene, which would be triggered using the ports of your DPAD Gold.
With this configuration, you can have 2 configurations:
- use it as a toggle: press On, press again Off
- as an interrupter: press On, release Off

Hope that helps :)
Don't forget to mark the post as answered when you find the answer to your question ;)
Please use the "Operating System" field in your preferences for better support :)

JRock
SFX Group

Post by SFX Group »

Thanks, i have been looking at the scenes, however i cant find enough documentation to help me configure this.

This raises a few questions (which are in line with the original).

- dpad gold, does not support any ethernet based DMX does it? (Art Net, Art Net II etc..)
- From reading DasLight4 does support Ethernet DMX? (Art Net, however about Art Net II)
- Ive actually been looking at the "Show Time" section to build a light switch (using cheap Android / iOS iTouch devices), however i cant get that to "stay on" only when there pressed on the screen continually. Still researching this though....
Many Thanks
Ashley

Jp

Post by Jp »

The dpad gold does not support artnet. Daslight 4 supports it if you have a Gold ZM connected (I'll check if any other device enables it as well).

- Ive actually been looking at the "Show Time" section to build a light switch (using cheap Android / iOS iTouch devices), however i cant get that to "stay on" only when there pressed on the screen continually. Still researching this though....

If you pair your easy Remote button to the scene, it should work the same way that the scene in live. Do you have the scene set to "flash" mode ?
Don't forget to mark the post as answered when you find the answer to your question ;)
Please use the "Operating System" field in your preferences for better support :)

JRock
SFX Group

Post by SFX Group »

Jp wrote:The dpad gold does not support artnet. Daslight 4 supports it if you have a Gold ZM connected (I'll check if any other device enables it as well).

Whats a "Gold 7M"?

Jp wrote:If you pair your easy Remote button to the scene, it should work the same way that the scene in live. Do you have the scene set to "flash" mode ?

Whats "easy Remote button"?

Not sure about Flash mode, will check this when back later tonight, i did wonder what the Flash did in scene.

Many Thanks
Many Thanks
Ashley

Jp

Post by Jp »

That's a Gold ZM:
http://store.daslight.com/en/product/290-Daslight-Virtual-controller-DVC4-GOLD-ZM

"Easy Remote" is the app that is used on android/iOS devices to connect to Daslight 4. The Show Mode is there to configure the remote display. I suppose you created a button in the Show Mode ?

The "Flash" property of a scene allows it to work as a simple push button: click it starts, release the mouse button it stops...

JRock
SFX Group

Post by SFX Group »

Thanks

Yes i had created a button (it only worked when i pressed it, so the FLASH setting with likely fix this).

My issue at this point is how to tell DasLight to turn something on, my choices are:

Show Mode with an Android / iOS application (which will be highly complicated at this point as i have no way of getting an Android / iOS device in to a 1 /2 Gang wall box (in Canada here). however this IS the preferred method in the long run (should i find a way of getting a 1/2 Gang smart aware Android / iOS device).

In the interim, are there any Ethernet Based dry contacts i can use that DasLight will use (i would use dpad Gold, however everything has to be hardwired for DMX as that doesnt support Art Net, this again is a possibility, however i cant see how to get more than 8 contacts on the dpad GOLD (i have a question open in that part of the forum for that).

Many Thanks
Many Thanks
Ashley

Jp

Post by Jp »

You may have 8 dry contacts if you use them as port. Or you can use them as adresses (by combining them) to have 255 possibilities..

To be honest, Daslight was built to do live, not to be an architectural product so it's stand alone capabilities are somewhat a little bit limited...

JRock
SFX Group

Post by SFX Group »

Thats a shame, that looks like its ruled out DasLight 4 as i have no way of getting any contact information in to it.

dpadGOLD would be a possible option, however i would need more information with regards getting the address count up from 8 to 255, how would this be done?

I assume i would create all the settings in DasLight 4 then upload them to the dpadGOLD?
Many Thanks
Ashley

Jp

Post by Jp »

The datasheet is the same as the DE3 product from our partner:
http://www.nicolaudie.com/downloads/files/stick-de3_datasheet.pdf

You can have up to 256 addresses by combining the port in binary:

00000000 : address 0
00000001 : address 1
00000010 : address 2
00000011 : address 3 ect...

Yes basically, you connect your dpad gold with Daslight 4 using either USB or Ethernet, you make your show and you write it in the stand alone memory.

Note that you can use the android/ipad "Easy Remote" app directly without using Daslight 4 to control the dpad gold...

JRock
SFX Group

Post by SFX Group »

Thanks

I'll have a look at this, however the addressing still isnt clear to me (i understand the binary thing, just not how to connect the outlets to result in binary).

I would prefer to use DasLight products, however ive been told to look at Philips iPlayer 3 (as it has contact modules that can be added) and Pharos (we have a LPC2 floating around somewhere).

The goal here is the lights are architectural, however there are effects they will do as well, this means the DMX controller has to be one unit that can be switched then have effects playing (and turn off the earlier switched on lights).

A player like DasLight is better to use, if i can get dry contacts working.

Many Thanks
Many Thanks
Ashley