Arranging lights in a grid

The previous Daslight version

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

Steffen
Operating System: Mac OS X

Arranging lights in a grid

Post by Steffen »

I want to arrage 12 single lights in a straight horizontal line, but not in the order as they are patched. If I arrange my lights in a nearly horizontal line with my cusom order (e.g. 1,12,2,11,...), select them all and use the shape wizard then all lights are rearranged in the original order (1,2,3,...).

I would like to have an optional grid where the lights snap in and/or have the shape wizard preserve a manual sorting.
Jp
Operating System: Windows

Re: Arranging lights in a grid

Post by Jp »

Hi Steffen

All you have to do is avoid selecting them all :)
Use the selection tools (or select them manually) in the order you want and them use the shape wizard. That way, we reassign their internal indexes and they will keep this order ;)

PS: We had a bug with the selection tool selection so you might not be able to use another one except the default one...
Don't forget to mark the post as answered when you find the answer to your question ;)
Please use the "Operating System" field in your preferences for better support :)

JRock
Steffen

Post by Steffen »

Okay, when I select the lights one by one in the order I want them, the shape wizard works perfect. :D
When I select them all at once by dragging a rectangle, they are sorted as they were placed in the patch window.

So, this topic is more or less solved. Will there be an option for a grid in a future version?
Jp

Post by Jp »

There should already be one...

Can you try with the version available in the post for "midi lovers" ? you can allign your fixtures in grid, cirlce, horizontally, vertically, and there is one last option that work more or less like the grid system in DVC3, that let's you define a grid, specify the number of rows/columns and you can choose the orders of the fixtures ;)
Don't forget to mark the post as answered when you find the answer to your question ;)
Please use the "Operating System" field in your preferences for better support :)

JRock
Steffen

Post by Steffen »

The shape wizard works as intended.

I was thinking more of a global grid where single lights snap in when you drag them around. Like on a Windows desktop. You can choose to arrage all icons to an invisible grid (default setting) or deactivate this setting and place them exactly where you put them (that's the way daslight works at the moment).

Example (exaggerated) - I want to align the four single lights in the top row nicely with the others in a grid:
Grid.jpg
Grid.jpg (12.31 KiB) Viewed 14556 times
Last edited by Steffen on Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jp

Post by Jp »

oOo ok sorry didn't understood it...

It's not possible but I'll add it to our ideas list ;)

JRock
dj_otto

Post by dj_otto »

It might help to add a number to each fixture on the grid. That would be an easy way to use the FX Generator to make complicated sences.
Steffen

Post by Steffen »

dj_otto wrote:It might help to add a number to each fixture on the grid.

Whey you select lights, they are numbered. If you select them by dragging a rectangle around them, they are numbered according to the order in the patch window. If you select them one by one while holding down the [Ctrl]/[Cmd] key, they are numbered in ascending order.