Daslight4 Crashes when opening DVC File

The previous Daslight version

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

chucksampson

Daslight4 Crashes when opening DVC File

Post by chucksampson »

I have been building scenes in a DVC file and save it but when I go back and reopen the file Daslight crashes and will not open the file. This has happened to me three times and I'm not sure what it is that causes the issue. I have sent examples of the DVC files to Simon. (MacOS
Build Jan 29 2016 16.129.6265.553)

I have also noticed Daslight will sometimes crash when using the Scan Library Search text box. (Both MacOS and PC)

Also, Daslight seems to get hung sometimes on the Mac when you exit. The application is still running but won't respond and I have to kill it.
Jp
Operating System: Windows

Post by Jp »

Hi
Yes I heard something like that, can you tell me exactly how did you made that show ? The fixtures are patched over two universes but only one is declared before... I sent a corrected show to Simon, but i could not reproduce it :/
Regarding the ScanLibrary search box, someone is already on it :wink:
I also heard about the exit problem on mac, we'll certainly fix this in our future versions.
Thanks for the feedback :D
Don't forget to mark the post as answered when you find the answer to your question ;)
Please use the "Operating System" field in your preferences for better support :)

JRock
chucksampson

Post by chucksampson »

Thanks for your help. Here's how I built the file, hopefully this will help:

- I'm working in the Mac environment and creating scenes for 20 ea. LED Floor tiles (mix of Grace Stage Light GL-026 and GL-026B). I built the scan library files since there weren't any available and can send them if thats helpful.
- The fixtures span 2 universes as you mentioned. I noticed that after I restart Daslight I can't see the second universe on the patch screen (only Universe 1 is visible). When I click "+" to add a new universe, the second one appears and it contains my patched fixtures. When you say one of the universes is not "declared", I'm not sure what you mean. I'm fairly new so maybe I forgot a step?
- I've been building the scenes without a DVC4 USB interface present so I haven't associated the universes with devices. I should have the new one today or tomorrow.
- I'm creating the scenes manually by selecting the beams and setting the colors.
- I did try to import some scenes from a DVC3 file but it crashed so only my manual scenes were there.
- Most of my scenes 30 or less steps, nothing too big or complicated. The first time I encountered the problem I had just created a slightly larger scene.
- I've saved the file many times without it happening. I'm trying to be careful to save file revisions often so I can easily go back to a file that works. However, I encountered it again last night. I can't really associate it with something I had just done.

If I can provide any more details or copies of any of the files, let me know. Daylight4 looks great - you all are doing a fantastic job.

Thanks,

Chuck

Jp wrote:Hi
Yes I heard something like that, can you tell me exactly how did you made that show ? The fixtures are patched over two universes but only one is declared before... I sent a corrected show to Simon, but i could not reproduce it :/
Regarding the ScanLibrary search box, someone is already on it :wink:
I also heard about the exit problem on mac, we'll certainly fix this in our future versions.
Thanks for the feedback :D
Jp

Post by Jp »

When I say it's not declared, i meant that when I decrypted the show file, only 1 universe is used, even with fixtures in the second. That's what I tried to reproduce unsuccessfully :/
Can you PM me your ssl files, and your DVC3 show ? we'll look into it and see what's causing the import file crash..

Thanks for the feedback ad your time :)
Don't forget to mark the post as answered when you find the answer to your question ;)
Please use the "Operating System" field in your preferences for better support :)

JRock
mohawk

Re: Daslight4 Crashes when opening DVC File

Post by mohawk »

hi, im haveing the same problem, can i send the dvc file to someone who can try to recover it ? thanks
PolDavril

Post by PolDavril »

Hi,

Yes, you can post the dvc file here (in a zip file).
I can have a look but I'm NOT sure to be able to recover it, it would be just a try.

On the other hand, the support can also try to do it (I guess they have the tools to debug the process).
Pol Davril
Stage Manager & Technician
Daslight 4 - Version Jan 13 2020
http://www.hsd-productions.be
http://www.exprime-toi.be
mohawk

Post by mohawk »

ok, i had the auto save on, i think the project file may have been damaged closing the program, absently, during autosave, thats the only explanation I have found, anyway autosave copies would be better ... ok, thanks for the answer but i saw the file have lost lot of weight, i dont think it can be restored, 15 groups, almost 150 scenes and its 10KB only
TomHat

Post by TomHat »

Hey,

You might be able to find a correct save file in your backup folder, near your Daslight4.exe (or Daslight4.app if you're using macOS).

Regards,
TomHat
--
Daslight Support

Mail : [email protected]
Phone (French) : +33 (0) 616 427 588
Phone (English) : +44 (0) 7 481 811 500
mohawk

Post by mohawk »

big thanks, i would never have found out ...
KickOffMusic

Post by KickOffMusic »

Well, it looks like we have the same problem over here.

Our whole show is ready but when it's saved after our lastest changes the show crashes. We have restored it from the C:\Daslight\Daslight\backup (and changed the extension from .backup1 to .dvc) and it worked, but this is not the last version that we have. And it's without the lastest changes that we have made.

What we see into the software that all the things are good loaded, but when the statusbar tries to load EasyRemote the software chrashes.

For information; these are the steps we have tried and our configuration.

- The show contains 4 Showtec Phantom 50 MKII, 5 Showtec Expression 5000 and 2 Ayra Fog Machines.
- We have tried the show on two different computers, one who is new (August 2020) and a old one (September 2017), both with Windows 10 Pro. First one had 8GB with a i3-processor, the old one is a 4GB with i5-processor.
- We have disconnected the DVC4 GMZ and our AKAI APC MIDI-controller.
- We have re-installed the software from January 13 (but we havn't tried the lastest Beta-software). We also have tried to install the software but without any succes.

The file (4,8MB) is too big for a attachment on this forum, but I have uploaded it to our own website. You can download it here.
http://kickoff-music.nl/Downloads/nieuw ... 20show.zip
(When you try to download it in Chrome, maybe you must click on the arrow on the right and select "Keep download")

Please let us know how we can fix this (or maybe you can fix this :wink: ) because we can't use Daslight right now!
KickOffMusic

Post by KickOffMusic »

Regadering the last issue:
We have tried to open it in the lastest Beta and it works fine! No problem anymore!