Urgent! Lights are going randomly off

The top of the range Daslight product, with miniSD memory and 3 DMX universes

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

Arktim

Urgent! Lights are going randomly off

Post by Arktim »

Hi,

we have a very big problem. We have a dvc2 gold zm and using all 3 universes. The Device is connected via usb to a laptop, using the latest stable software version on windows 7.
Our scene are mostly static to illuminate walls.

After random time periods, between 25 min or 4 hours, the lights in all 3 universes are going off. In the software there are all scenes, that were enabled, enabled. The laptop is configured that he didn't safe energy or shut down.
Because the lights are off i've deactivated a scene and activate them again and now are all lights on again.

Did someone has an idea?

Greetings
Arktim
simonB
Site Admin

Post by simonB »

Hello Arktim

What you are saying is that if you leave DVC2 and do not touch it for 25 minutes - 4 hours, the lights will go off and you need to switch the scene off an on again for the lights to come back on?

This could be one of several things:
-DVC2 issue
-DMX interface issue
-laptop issue
-lighting fixture issue

A few things to try:
-Close DVC2 and open tools.exe. Navigate to the test tab and move a fader so that the lights are on, leave it for 25 minutes-4 hours and see if the lights go off. If the lights stay on you know it is a DVC2 problem
-Try with a different lighting fixture
-Try on a PC

If all the above fails, let me know and I will have some tests arranged at the office
lxrixta

Post by lxrixta »

Hi Guys,

I realise this is an old thread, but i had a similar problem, where the output from GZM went "off", although there was no change within daslight and all the lights on the GZM were indicating as they should be! however as soon as there was a change in state, be this turning on a new scene or stopping one that was already meant to be running in daslight, everything would return to what it was meant to be doing!

After a bit of puzzling the solution turned out to be quite simple, a good quality powered hub! I assume that USB output isnt quite up to providing enough power to run the box? Running through a powered hub also has a benefit of keeping the GZM powered, so should you have a problem with your computer during a gig, the GZM will jump back to stand alone (and a carefully chosen backup state!) so that everyone isnt left in the dark whilst you sort the computer out!
simonB
Site Admin

Post by simonB »

The interface requires 5 volts to run. Sometimes if you're using a hub which is not powered, or a cheaper USB driver in a laptop, it cannot always supply the 5V, especially if other devices are connected to different sockets. A powered hub will always ensure that the interface gets the 5V it needs.
lxrixta

Post by lxrixta »

I guessed that would be the case, I found it happened on both laptop and rackmount pc, it's no trouble to use a powered hub, like I said before I like the fall back dropping into standalone mode.

1 thing I'm not sure on, maybe you could shed some light on this Simon, does the interface compensate for more lights/longer cable runs for sending the dmx signal, I can't remember the exact voltage specifications for dmx, most of the time I connect to my rig via an opto splitter, but I would assume longer cable runs means higher resistance etc?