VC2 Keeps Crashing

512 In, 512 out or 2x512 out. Stand Alone memory (512 out)

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

Bobmoose

VC2 Keeps Crashing

Post by Bobmoose »

Hi,

Am hoping someone can help me. I have recently purchased the Dvc2 and have programmed up a full stage show with little or no issue, and am overall pleased with the results.
However, when first used in a live show it crashed in live mode twice during live show. It then appeared to not only crash, but completly shut down the laptop, to a point where it wouldn't turn back on until battery was removed.
I assumed this was a performance issue with the laptop and thought this the perfect excuse to buy myself a shiny new one!
To my horror, the same problem occured with the brand new laptop, bought because it's specs were above and beyond the requirements of the software. It is continuing to crash at least once per 1 and a half hour performance, and has actually caused this new laptop to twice shutdown again having to remove the battery!
Does anyone have any ideas? One post about crashing software mentioned 'Live Actions' were to be disabled in Live mode. I can find no mention of Live Actions. Does anyone know what this means?

Help me please!

Thanks
Andre

Re: VC2 Keeps Crashing

Post by Andre »

Have you downloaded the latest version from the website?
If not do so as it also includes Firmware updates to the interface.

Try downloading the latest drivers and firmware from the website and installing them.

I had DVC2 crash out a few times and could not start it again. Had to disconnect the interface, then the program removed it's self from memory. I have only once had DVC2 die once while being used live and that gave no error and I was able to start it straight away again.
Never had tit freeze the laptop. You should find that holding your "Power" button on the laptop down for at least 4 seconds should make it power off.

I did have a problem in getting the interface to update while connected to my Vista 32 laptop and had to do it on my XP Pro workstation. After that I have not had any crashes.

Not much help I am afraid.
Andre
Dazbut

Post by Dazbut »

Hi.
I'm having a similar problem, My VC2 crashes, it does take a while, but when it does, i have to shut down using windows task manager... and unplug the interface (gold).
Just out of intrest, when you plug the interface into the laptop, and before you open VC2, what is displayed on the interface. mine says 'OF' and then 'PC' when you launch the VC2. I believe the 'PC' means connected to the PC!! pretty obvious, but unsure about the 'OF' I've heard that other interfaces read 'O1'? Don't know if this indicates anything but i've now tried running the VC2, in live mode with the interface NOT connected (i think thats DEMO mode) and so far even with the 3D visual running it didn't crash. I'm trying different ideas to see if i can narrow it down, and possibily eliminate a simple case of a dodgy DVC2.
Let me know?!?
Happy sound engineers, doing it LOUD
Andre

Post by Andre »

Without DVC2 running when you connect a DVC2 Gold interface to the PC you should have Yellow (middle) on solid, Red (bottom) very fast flashing and Green (top) flashing every 2 seconds approx.

Found this in a manual ...
Role played by the 3 Leds on the interface

· The yellow Led (in the middle) indicates that the interface is properly-powered.

· The red Led situated by the "DMX" connector blinks to indicate that the DMX signal is being sent. No blinking corresponds to interface-failure.

· The green Led by the "USB" connector should blink rapidly when the interface is controlled by the software. In stand alone mode, this green led blinks several times to indicate an active scene number.

As for the number, that is the number of what scene in memory to display in stand alone mode. Mine always displayed "01" as I had not programmed any stand alone scenes and sent them to the interface so pressing the + and - buttons on the interface did not do anything.

I have just sent a couple of scenes to the interface for stand alone so I should have 3 in there. I can now press the + and - buttons on the interface to select the stand alone scene , only when DVC2 not running or on external power supply and not connected to PC. If I keep pressing the th + button then the number roll around back to 1 again.

So if you are seeing "0F" in yours then I would say that you either have 15 scenes programmmed on the interface or you have scene 15 programmed on the interface. Have you tried pressing the + or - buttons to get back to "01" not that it should make a difference when connected to PC and software running.

If you have not done this then you can revert it back to standard by running DVC2 with interface connected, then start "Stand Alone" mode from the "Tools" menu option then in the middle you will see a list of icons and the one that looks like a PC card with a red cross, click that it will ask if you want, that is upto you. It will then report back "Memory written successfully.".

Hope that helps,
Andre
SNprodukties

crash!

Post by SNprodukties »

a few days ago i had a show and just before the beginning of the show(19:00) the DVC2 crashed and i had to restart the program. to be sure installed a AVOLITE pearl 2004 just incase the DVC2 crashed again, i hoped i diddn't need to use it. from 20:00 to 2:00 the program did well but then it crashed and i putted the dmx cable in the avolite quick and putted the master on so nobody noticed. but i'm not planned to use the avolite everytime i use the DVC2. do i need to update my program to solve the problem
Andre

Re: crash!

Post by Andre »

SNprodukties wrote:a few days ago i had a show and just before the beginning of the show(19:00) the DVC2 crashed and i had to restart the program. to be sure installed a AVOLITE pearl 2004 just incase the DVC2 crashed again, i hoped i diddn't need to use it. from 20:00 to 2:00 the program did well but then it crashed and i putted the dmx cable in the avolite quick and putted the master on so nobody noticed. but i'm not planned to use the avolite everytime i use the DVC2. do i need to update my program to solve the problem

I would always get the latest version and try it out and see what happens.
I keep backup copies of all downloads so I can ensure that I can return to a previous version just incase of instability.

I have the latest 2 versions crash on me at various times. Only once while doing a show, but was able to restart the program straight away and no one except the band really noticed that anything had happened out of the ordinary, but if I ever get a lock of the program and it will not end then that is a different story.
Andre
vianney
Site Admin

Post by vianney »

It i spossible that the software crash sometime.
We spend a lot of time to test and correct them.
If people has a bug, it is important to find a way to do it everytime and report it to the Daslight team.

Right now we update the December version, because of few bugs.
Please always try the latest official DVC2 version.

If you still have a problem, please contact the Daslight team.
They could send you some beta version with corrections.

The Beta version will be update soon and should becom offical in Mai 2009 or June 2009.